In many engineering and IT environments, the main focus points back to security. That’s because the success of many firms relies heavily on protecting their intellectual property. Along with security, engineering firms must also focus on managing their workforce in order to maximize ROI on every project. This starts with tracking how much time your […]Read More >
Is It Time to Add Flexible and Remote Work Options?
- Brittney Kinley
Remote and flexible work options sound great in theory. After all, who doesn’t want to at least have the option to work from home, or somewhere other than the workplace? Also, with so much technology at our fingertips, working remotely can be easier than ever.
However, if you’re setting up remote work options for the first time, there’s plenty to consider before you send out a company-wide email. Also, in many ways, it starts with making sure you have the right workforce management tools in place so employees and managers can transition successfully.
Flexible and Remote Workers
As workforce management tools go, cloud-based time & attendance software can be instrumental when it’s time to launch a remote work initiative.
No matter what time & attendance solution you choose, you want one that can help simplify the way workers can handle a number of essential tasks, including how they:
- clock in/out
- track time
- switch between projects
- swap shifts
- sync calendar and schedules
- submit mileage expense reimbursements
At the same time, you may want to be sure your time & attendance software supports administrators, and works with other HR tools, before you create optional work-from-home days.
Below, we’ve included a few considerations as you explore remote and flex work options.
Does your time & attendance solution give workers and managers new ways to track, manage, and get the most out of their time, no matter where they’re working? Read our recent report, “Enhance And Support Your BYOD Work Culture,” and discover a number of next-gen features that support flex working options.
Creating Flex Working Options
Every company seems to be looking for new ways to retain employees, and help workers engage with their work. In many professional environments, this includes launching flexible and remote work options.
Many of today’s workers and job candidates expect remote and flex work options.
• In a recent study, “The Millennial Mindset,” 92% of respondents said they want to work from home.
• In the same study, 91% said that it was important to them to be able to work non-traditional hours.
What would flexible and remote work options look like at your workplace, and how can your time & attendance software help?
If your time & attendance solution isn’t up to speed, it might be difficult for you to launch a new remote work program. How can you tell? Consider the following questions:
• Do employees track time & attendance on paper?
• Are you using a system that requires manual entry?
• Is “buddy” punching an issue at your company?
• Does your time & attendance solution lack next-gen features, like a facial recognition feature, or a mileage calculator for expense reimbursement?
If you answered “yes” to any of these, then it’s possible that your time & attendance solution may be holding you back. What’s more, it might be creating inefficiencies in your current work environment.
As you explore workforce management tools to help support remote work options, consider the following:
1. Invest in tools that make it easier for employees to check schedules, clock in/out, and more.
With stratustime, your employees can clock in and out with a dedicated time clock, a central kiosk or POS system on a PC, or remotely via PC, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or dial-in. That means that, wherever they are, they can check schedules, view vacation and PTO accruals, request time off, and even swap shifts using their personal computer, tablet, or mobile phone.
2. Take a broad view when it comes to understanding the features that remote workers need.
Turning in mileage expense reports can be an important aspect for many remote workers, especially when being on the road is part of their normal job responsibilities. When on-the-clock, workers are also on the go, you want them to have as much support as possible with the tools they already use.
stratustime’s Mileage Calculator for Expense Reimbursements feature puts time & attendance to work for remote workers in brand new ways.
When working remotely, many employees need to log road miles. While there are a lot of ways they can do so, stratustime’s Mileage Calculator for Expense Reimbursements feature helps them calculate miles in the software they use to track time.
• Remote workers don’t need to worry about redundant administrative work related to logging miles in a spreadsheet, or on paper.
• The reports they turn in via the Mileage Calculator for Expense Reimbursements feature can help their managers plan travel budgets, and measure ROI related to remote work.
• The feature can automatically submit a pay adjustment according to your company’s reimbursement schedule.
3. Give administrators the tools and insights they need as well.
Overseeing dozens of employees can be challenging enough when workers are all working on-site. What about when they’re working remotely?
If your company wants to launch remote work options, then your workforce managements tools must support managers and administrators too.
Managers can also benefit from stratustime’s remote work features:
• Alert notifications can alert managers when remote employees have failed to punch in or have punched in late.
• Geo-tracking features can verify where or when employees clock in. Managers can also set features to disallow employees from clocking in/out from certain locations if necessary.
• Managers can set project codes and wage information on the backend to accurately reflect and calculate hourly rates and project budgets.
• Administrators can generate reports that demonstrate where employees spend their time. These can be especially helpful when the company wants to review how well remote and flex work options are working.
Whether remote and flex working options are in your immediate future, or still a little down the road, it’s never too soon to start exploring tools that can bring the type of features that workers, managers, and administrators need.
Having the right workforce management solutions, including time & attendance software, is a critical part of implementing changes, and enhancing the way people work. Find out how stratustime can help your move to building a remote workforce, and much more.